Last Updated on 18 February 2024
Creative Thinking: Techniques and Tools for Success will equip you with a ‘tool-box’, introducing you to a selection of behaviours and techniques that will augment your innate creativity. Some of the tools are suited to use on your own and others work well for a group, enabling you to leverage the power of several minds. You can pick and choose which of these tools or techniques suit your needs and interests, focusing on some or all of the selected approaches and in the order that fits best for you.
Approx. 20 hours to complete, flexible schedule.
Offered by Imperial College London, the practical approach of this course enables you to acquire an essential skill-set for generating ideas, with plenty of:
- Fun e-tivities and exercises
- Practical lectures and tips
- Video representations of the techniques in action
Introduction to the Principles of Creativity
In the first week, we focus on the basic principles of creativity and highlight its importance in tackling global challenges. Creativity is explored and applied at two different levels, lower and higher-level creativity.
In this week, we will look at how we can augment our creativity using different methods of Brainstorming, a creativity approach that aids the generation of ideas in solving a stated problem. We particularly focus on the application of brainstorming tools in group activities, with the aim of enabling you to understand, evaluate and apply different types of brainstorming techniques in your own context.
There are many thinking styles which can be helpful in creativity. We will focus on the principles as well as application of a variety of thinking approaches that can be used at both at an individual level and in a group, under various professional and personal situations, allowing you to develop competency and accelerate proficiency in the use of some different thinking styles.
You will become familiar with the Principles of Morphological Analysis and learn how to apply it in various life scenarios, from design to developing movie plot-lines, whilst developing a more systematic approach to idea generation.
Are you looking for a cloud storage service that offers you more than just space? Do you want to store, share, chat, and meet with anyone online, all in one place? Do you care about your privacy and security online? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you need to check out MEGA.
MEGA is not your ordinary cloud storage service. It's a complete online platform that lets you do more with your data. With MEGA, you can:
- Store up to 20GB of data for free, and easily extend your storage with affordable plans
- Share your files and folders with anyone, even non-MEGA users, with full control over access and expiration
- Chat with your MEGA contacts and have group chats with anyone, even guests who don't have MEGA accounts
- Make audio and video calls and have meetings with anyone, with end-to-end encryption and high-quality sound and video
- Sync your data across all your devices, and access it from anywhere through the web, desktop, or mobile apps
- Protect your data with zero-knowledge encryption, the highest level of online security and privacy, that ensures only you and the people you choose can see your data
Don't miss this opportunity to join the millions of users who trust MEGA with their data. Sign up today and discover the difference that MEGA can make for you.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Pick a type of brainstorming you think will be useful to apply to a challenge
- Use alphabet brainstorming in tackling a challenge
- Use grid brainstorming in tackling a challenge
- Use a morphological chart to synthesise a solution to a challenge
- Use the TRIZ contradiction matrix to identify recommended inventive principles
- Apply SCAMPER to a range of challenges
Coursera provides universal access to the world’s best education, partnering with top universities and organizations to offer courses online.