The University of Illinois’ Gies College of Business, consistently ranked among the nation's top three accounting programs, now offers a full Master of Science in Accountancy program that allows you to earn the same degree as on-campus students, 100% online, on your schedule.
The accounting industry is undergoing rapid change. As automation and advancements in technology upend every sector of the economy, accounting students need to learn much more than a CPA’s traditional skill set. In particular, new accountants need to know how to apply the cutting-edge analytics that are reshaping the industry. They need to become proficient with Python, statistical data analysis, and the basics of data visualization.
The Master of Science in Accountancy (iMSA) meets these needs with instruction from some of the very best accountancy faculty in the world. Graduates from our program are in high-demand because they possess the most sought-after skills. Our alumni have gone on to become world-renowned founders of businesses, CEOs, CFOs, world leaders, and more.
16 eight-week courses, completely online
Course Schedule & Application Deadlines
The iMSA is offered in Fall (Aug-Dec), Spring (Jan-May), and Summer sessions (Jun-Jul). Cohort start dates are in August and January of each year.
Priority 1 Deadline: February 1, 2020
Priority 2 Deadline: March 1, 2020
Priority 3 Deadline: April 1, 2020
Priority 3 Deadline: May 1, 2020
Final Deadline: June 1, 2020
The next cohort starts on August 24, 2020.
Courses are delivered in two segments: The first segment, a self-paced MOOC from Coursera, is via video lectures, with readings and quizzes. It features the same faculty you’ll work with if you move to the second segment, which consists of weekly live global classrooms that are engaging, interactive, and practice-oriented. You’ll work with accounting professionals and fellow students, create presentations, and practice and discuss what you learn.
You will assess the validity and completeness of a publicly-traded corporation’s financial statements and disclosures of key risks, and analyze the corporation’s potential for future financial success.
Managerial Accounting and Control
You will role-play as managers and identify relevant information, analyze costs and profits, and use information management tools to make a strategic business decision involving uncertainty.
Corporate Tax Strategy
You will identify a publicly-traded, global corporation and assess its organizational structure’s effectiveness in minimizing domestic and global tax obligations.
You will apply a multi-faceted analytics approach to assess a company’s strategic and operational risk, and identify, measure, and quantify the impact of instances of manager fraud.
- A bachelor’s degree in any academic discipline from an accredited institution in the United States or the international equivalent to a US bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum academic background in business, with one course in business management and at least one in principles of accounting.
- The recommended undergraduate GPA is 3.0/4.0, or the US equivalent, from the final two years of undergraduate study.
- GMAT or GRE scores are required, but may be waived.
- All applicants whose native language is not English must take the Internet-Based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. For information on the university English proficiency requirement, go to www.grad.illinois.edu/admissions/instructions/04c. International applicants must submit an official TOEFL or IELTS score to the Illinois iMSA. You may be exempt from providing a TOEFL or IELTS score if you meet one of the criteria listed here: http://www.grad.illinois.edu/admissions/apply/exemptcountries
How to Apply
Applicants to the iMSA program use a main University of Illinois online form, but admission decisions are made by the iMSA team.
Have no idea what courses you or your child should take? Tell us your requirements in the form below and we will send our recommendations to you by email.
Last Updated on July 21, 2020
Coursera provides universal access to the world’s best education, partnering with top universities and organizations to offer courses online.