Since its inception in 2003, the Media Education Scholarship (MES) has nurtured close to 200 scholars who have established themselves as film and TV directors, music producers, game developers and visual effects artists. The MES was further enhanced in January 2012 to include industry collaboration through direct job-matching of scholars to companies, better alignment of scholarship to industry demands and requirements, and a clearer career path for professionals set by companies. MES now comes with a full scholarship.
Another category, MES (Film) was introduced in 2013 to nurture talent keen on pursuing independent film careers. Aspiring filmmakers can opt for MES (Film) and upon completion of their studies, fulfil a two-year Service Commitment to the Singapore film industry by working on two film projects.
MediaCorp Pte Ltd
MM2 Entertainment Pte Ltd
Singapore Press Holdings
Times Publishing Group
Why choose MES?
- Tuition fees and other compulsory university fees will be sponsored by IMDA.
- An annual allowance from the sponsoring media company will be given to the MES scholar to defray living expenses during the period of study.
- A job opportunity will be made available by the sponsoring media company whereby the MES scholar will be developed as a media professional or groomed for a leadership role during the bond period.
- Training, internship and career opportunities in editorial, interactive media, journalism, TV production and new media engineering will be extended to the MES scholar.
- Singapore citizen or Permanent Resident with the aspiration to transform the media industry can apply for MES and MES (Film).
- While applicants are not required to have secured a placement at the point of application, they must have applied to an institution for admission to a full-time media-related undergraduate or postgraduate programme.
- Applicants who have already started their undergraduate or postgraduate programme can also apply for a mid-term scholarship.
- Male applicants must have completed or be exempted from National Service at the time of their study.
Bond Duration for Scholarships under MES (subject to change):
3 years (value of scholarship award – up to S$60,000)
4 years (value of scholarship award – above S$60,000 up to S$150,000)
5 years (value of scholarship award – above S$150,000)
Bond Duration for MES (Film): 2 years
Application Criteria & Procedures
Applicants will be assessed based on:
- Academic results
- Creativity: assessed through portfolio submitted and/or track record, if any;
- Leadership potential: assessed through their CCA record, community involvement, and/or contribution to the media industry (if applicable);
- Other requirements specified by IMDA, and the co-sponsoring companies.
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents:
- Copy of Resume
- Copy of all educational certificates and transcripts from GCE ‘O’ level, or equivalent to tertiary education
- Letters of recommendations from two referees and their contact details (referees must not be immediate relatives of the applicant)
- Proof of application or admission into course of study
- Information on proposed course of study, including the estimated cost of tuition fees and other compulsory fees in SGD
- Soft copy of applicant’s portfolio and/or samples of their three best works (e.g. sketches, write-ups, and/or audio-video recordings) submitted in DVD format or thumbdrive (acceptable file formats: .doc, .ppt, .mp4, .wmv, .jpg, .xls and .pdf).
Application is open from 1 January to 31 March..
Infocomm Media Development Authority
10 Pasir Panjang Road #03-01
Mapletree Business City
Tel: (65) 6377 3800
Email: [email protected]
Web: Media Education Scholarship