Listen to this article instead
The reaction to Learning Transformed has been truly humbling. Tom Murray and I have watched many book studies and Twitter chats unfold since the release of the book in June of 2017. We have also had the honor of co-presenting workshops across the United States. All of these experiences empowered us to think about and then create a deep learning experience that could be easily accessible to all educators across the globe. As a result, an online course was created with the help of Participate. Anyone can register HERE.
Below you will see how the course is structured as well as learner outcomes. The content is aligned to well over 100 research studies in addition to what successfully implemented innovative practices actually look like in action. The key to change is not telling, but showing how ideas can transform teaching, learning, and leadership. We can't stop here. The most important aspect of this course is pushing learners to not only reflect on their own practice but to also develop focused plans to take action through constructivist learning theory.
The Learning Transformed course is designed to support your classroom, district or school's transformation efforts! The current speed of technological and innovative breakthroughs has led to the coming age of workplace automation, dramatically altering the world of work that our students will enter. With all that is known about how students learn and the predictions regarding the world that our students will face tomorrow, a one size fits all approach to teaching and learning is educational malpractice.
Built on the foundation of leadership and school culture, a redesigned learning experience fundamentally shifts the teaching and learning paradigm to one that's personal. It alters the use of authentic assessments, how technology is leveraged, the spaces in which the learning occurs, the way educators grow professionally, how schools collaborate with the community, and the sustainability of the system as a whole. The authors will dissect an approach to unlocking tomorrow's schools so that today's modern learners leave ready to create new industries, find new cures, and solve world problems.
Although not a required reading, the content for this course expands upon the book, Learning Transformed: 8 Keys to Designing Tomorrow's Schools, Today. Throughout the course, participants will be encouraged to reflect and share their learning using the hashtag #LT8keys on Twitter and/or LinkedIn.
The course is structured in a way for all educators to take a critical lens to their practice in order to improve the learning culture in a classroom, building, district, or organization. Each module is designed to support your learning through self-assessment, content delivered by us, independent readings to extend learning, videos that showcase innovative practices in action, opportunities to reflect, and application to practice. Tasks in each module are listed further down. Directly below are the nine modules that participants will work through asynchronously.
- Vision for Change
- Creating a Culture of Innovation
- Redesigning the Learning Experience
- Return on Instruction
- Designing Learner-Centered Spaces
- Making Professional Learning Personal
- Leveraging Technology
- Collaborating and Engaging with the Community
- Leading the Charge
How can classroom, school, and district leaders transform the student learning experience to one that better prepares them for their future?
- Self-assess current beliefs and established practices to develop a call to action.
- Learn from Tom and Eric as to how research-based and evidence-driven practices can transform the learning culture in your classroom, school, or district.
- Explore and reflect on video content and innovative practices in action from educators currently leading these change efforts.
- Complete activities to support your individual, school, or district's transformation.
- Actively apply what has been learned to initiate sustainable change and achieve efficacy.
Course Module Activities Include:
- Content delivery from Tom Murray and Eric Sheninger
- Independent readings
- Video case studies
- Reflection questions
- Action items for completion that align with your specific role and context
What You'll Get
Learners will receive:
- Digital badge
- Guided lessons from Tom and Eric
- Access to Tom and Eric when using #LT8Keys on social media
- Activities to guide transformation and reflection
- Articles and videos to spur conversation and push thinking
- 50 additional tools and resources to drive innovative change
We hope you enjoy this course and encourage you to take the time to reflect and dive in to support your school, district, organization, or classroom's transformation. Your brain might hurt at the conclusion of this journey, but rest assured you will be equipped with the ideas, strategies, and tools to transform learning for every student. Together, we can do this. You are part of the solution. Register today!
Consult with your local school or district as to how this course can be used to satisfy continuing education and professional learning hour requirements. In addition to the digital badge awarded at the end of the course, once all requirements have been met we can also send a signed certificate of completion.
Source: A Principal's Reflections
I am a Senior Fellow and Thought Leader on Digital Leadership with the International Center for Leadership in Education (ICLE).