The Wilmar Scholarship, established by Wilmar International Limited, is aimed at encouraging full-time undergraduates to embrace a holistic education and to give back to society in the years ahead.
Wilmar International Limited, founded in 1991 as a palm oil trading company, is today Asia’s leading agribusiness group. It is amongst the largest listed companies by market capitalisation on the Singapore Exchange. Its business activities include oil palm cultivation, edible oils refining, oilseeds crushing, consumer pack edible oils processing and merchandising, specialty fats, oleochemicals and biodiesel manufacturing, and grains processing and merchandising. Headquartered in Singapore, its operations are located in more than 20 countries across four continents, with a primary focus on Indonesia, Malaysia, China, India and Europe. Backed by a staff force of about 70,000 people, over 250 processing plants and an extensive distribution network, its products are delivered to more than 50 countries globally.
Value of Award
- Each scholarship, depending on the recipient’s level of study in the year of award, is tenable for up to three years of studies (or four years of candidature period), subject to good performance, and other contributions and achievements
- Valued at $15,000 per annum
- The scholarship will be used to pay for the recipient’s school fees and/or study-related expenses
- The recipient must agree to contribute back a pledged sum equal to one-third of the scholarship sum received (the returned sums will be used to fund future scholarships for needy students)
- Pledged contributions are to commence no later than one year after graduation (the maximum period for return of the pledged sum varies according to the scholarship sum from between two and five years)
- Minimum pledged contribution per year is $3,000, with possibility of full upfront payment
The recipient is required to take advantage of the Tuition Grant Scheme (TGS) provided by the Singapore Government for subsidised education.
Under the TGS, non-Singaporean recipients (including Singapore Permanent Residents) will be contractually obliged to work for Singapore-based companies for 3 years upon graduation.
Application Criteria & Procedures
- Singapore undergraduate students from their second to fourth year of studies
- Good academic results
- Active leadership roles in student life and the community at large
- A good record of service to the University and to the community
- Active involvement in CCAs and community service
- Ethically and socially responsible individuals who believe in giving back to society
- Demonstrated financial needs
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Singapore Institute of Technology
Between March and April.