Second in prestige only to the President's Scholarship, The SAF Scholarship (formally known as SAF Overseas Scholarship – SAFOS), is for those who see the honour in service and duty – the noble purpose of being there where it matters most. It provides excellent opportunities for personal and professional growth, as well as grooming for the highest levels of command and management.
The SAF Scholarship offers scholars opportunities to be involved in operations that directly contribute to the peace and security of Singapore. Through a series of command and staff appointments, scholars will not only hone their skills as a leader, but also as a manager, a planner and a strategist.
Value of Award
- Full salary for the duration of overseas studies (including bonuses)
- Full tuition fees and other approved academic charges
- Maintenance and other allowances, e.g. book, clothing, computer
- Return airfare
- One-time sponsorship for summer exchange programmes
- Sponsorship for up to 4 years of studies, inclusive of Master's if applicable
Fulfil a 6–year bond after your studies
- Singapore citizen or permanent resident intending to take up citizenship
- Good GCE ‘A' Level or International Baccalaureate results, Polytechnic Diploma (with Merit) or equivalent
- Good co–curricular activities (CCA) record
- Strong leadership qualities
- Qualify for and excel in Officer Cadet School
- Possess a strong interest in a military career
- All MINDEF/SAF scholarships are open for application to both genders
To apply for The SAF Scholarship, please download the application form (PDF, 31.1KB) and email the completed form to [email protected] and [email protected]. Under the email subject, please indicate “Application For Position in RSAF”.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can my child apply for The SAF Scholarship?
Yes, as long as the academic requirements are met. For The SAF Scholarship, he/she must first be accepted by PSC. For both scholarships, your child is also required to achieve good military performance.
When do we apply for the sponsorships/awards?
Applications can be made at any time as long as your child has secured a place in ITE, polytechnic or university. You are strongly encouraged to apply early to enjoy the full value of the sponsorship.
My child has graduated from university and managed to get a scholarship. Will we be reimbursed?
No, unless the application was made prior to graduation. You may then be considered for midterm sponsorships.
If my child fails the training/course, do I need to bear the cost of his scholarship/award?
If it is a genuine failure, you are not required to bear the costs. However, if it is due to self-suspension, you are liable for bearing any salary and/or pay liquidated damages for the training cost incurred.
Republic of Singapore Air Force
Air Force Recruitment Centre
3 Depot Road #01-43
Tel: 1800 270 1010
Email: [email protected]