The Howe Yoon Chong PSA scholarships are set up to honour the late Mr Howe Yoon Chong, a visionary Singaporean who has made significant contributions to Singapore, including the building of Singaporean first container terminal.
One of the many positions that Mr Howe held was as Chairman of the then Port of Singapore Authority. To honour him, PSA has set up a SGD 16 million endowment fund, with contributions from PSA , Temasek Holdings and NSL Ltd. (formerly known as NATSTEEL LTD), to award bond free scholarships to Singapore citizens. The scholarships will pay for tuition and other compulsory fees and provide book and living allowances.
The fund is under the auspices of Trailblazer Foundation Ltd, a registered charity under the purview of the Commissioner of Charities of Singapore. It is also an approved Institution of a Public Character (IPC).
PSA intends to award these scholarships annually. The number of scholarships to be awarded each year may vary and depend on the quality of applications received.
The scholarships are bond free. However, recipients are expected to emulate the example of the late Mr Howe and be morally obligated to contribute to society in some way when they graduate and start working.
The scholarships will be opened to Singapore citizens aged 25 and below who qualify and gain admission to any of the following institutions:
- National University of Singapore
- Nanyang Technological University
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore University of Technology and Design
- SIM University
- Singapore Institute of Technology
- The Polytechnics
- Institutes of Technical Education
The scholarships will support full time study at the following levels:
- Basic Degree (up to honors level)
- Diploma/Higher/ Advanced/Specialist Diploma
- Certificate/Higher Certificate
There will be no restriction on the course of study. However, all courses applied for must be supported by the Ministry of Education (MOE) tuition grant subsidy.
Value of Rewards & Benefits
The scholarships will pay for:
- tuition and other compulsory fees (annual)
- living allowance (annual)
- book allowance (annual)
The duration of the scholarship will be up to four years.
31 January 2019
For study at ITE
15 March 2019
For study at Polytechnic or University
Application Criteria & Procedures
The following criteria will be used in the selection of the scholars:
- Financial background – applicant’s household per capita income should not exceed S$750 per month
- Academic results – at least B average
- Track record in Co-curricula Activities (CCA)
- Participation/Demonstrated ability/Contributions in any of the following areas:
- Leadership and entrepreneurial skills
- Community work
- Innovation in science and technology
- Students who are already in their first year of study are also eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Ensure that you meet all the criteria as listed above.
- Applications are to be made online, followed by submission of a printed copy of the completed application form and supporting documents.
- Applicants for the scholarship must apply concurrently to the institution where they intend to pursue their studies.
- Male applicants due for or currently serving National Service should only apply in the academic year in which they intend to commence their study.
The online application form is available here.
HYC PSA Scholarships Secretariat
Trailblazer Foundation Ltd
401 Commonwealth Drive
#05-01 (Lobby B) Haw Par Technocentre
Email: [email protected]