This free online course will provide a comprehensive introduction to programming, designed for non-subject-specialist primary school teachers.
Over four weeks, we’ll introduce you to key programming concepts. You’ll have the chance to apply your understanding of them through projects, both unplugged and on a computer, using Scratch as the programming language. You’ll discover common mistakes and pitfalls, and develop strategies to fix them.
4 weeks, 2 hours per week
Teaching Programming in Primary Schools is designed for non-subject-specialist primary or K-5 teachers. You do not need any prior experience of programming to take part.
- Introduction to programming, explore algorithms, and apply understanding in a range of hands-on, cross-curricular Scratch projects.
- Explore repetition, and learn how to make use of repetition in your Scratch programs. Create your own art, music, making and animation using repeating patterns.
- Discover variables through real-world examples and learn how to create variables by making a voting app, an interactive story and a ghost-catching game.
- Explore the concept of selection by creating a ‘capital cities’ quiz and a program that classifies animals based on answers to yes/no questions.
- Reflect on all of the key programming concepts to create your own final challenge project.
I thoroughly enjoyed this course, having previously taught Year 5 students. I was unaware of the immense activities involved in Scratch and all the exciting creations that you can have fun with. I will certainly be using this in the future.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Explain key programming concepts; algorithms, sequencing, repetition, variables and selection.
- Produce programs using the Scratch programming language.
- Reflect on your learning and create ideas for your classroom practise.
- Explore programming concepts through projects, both unplugged and digital.
- Apply a cross curricular approach to programming.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.