This free online course will provide a comprehensive introduction to programming, designed for non-subject-specialist primary school teachers.
Over four weeks, we’ll introduce you to key programming concepts. You’ll have the chance to apply your understanding of them through projects, both unplugged and on a computer, using Scratch as the programming language. You’ll discover common mistakes and pitfalls, and develop strategies to fix them.
4 weeks, 2 hours per week
Teaching Programming in Primary Schools is designed for non-subject-specialist primary or K-5 teachers. You do not need any prior experience of programming to take part.
- Introduction to programming, explore algorithms, and apply understanding in a range of hands-on, cross-curricular Scratch projects.
- Explore repetition, and learn how to make use of repetition in your Scratch programs. Create your own art, music, making and animation using repeating patterns.
- Discover variables through real-world examples and learn how to create variables by making a voting app, an interactive story and a ghost-catching game.
- Explore the concept of selection by creating a ‘capital cities’ quiz and a program that classifies animals based on answers to yes/no questions.
- Reflect on all of the key programming concepts to create your own final challenge project.
I thoroughly enjoyed this course, having previously taught Year 5 students. I was unaware of the immense activities involved in Scratch and all the exciting creations that you can have fun with. I will certainly be using this in the future.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Explain key programming concepts; algorithms, sequencing, repetition, variables and selection.
- Produce programs using the Scratch programming language.
- Reflect on your learning and create ideas for your classroom practise.
- Explore programming concepts through projects, both unplugged and digital.
- Apply a cross curricular approach to programming.
Have no idea what courses you or your child should take? Tell us your requirements in the form below and we will send our recommendations to you by email.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.